The Friends were formed in 1931 at the instigation of the then Dean, Dr William Moore Ede.
The inaugural meeting was held on the 12 October 1931 and Sir Edward Elgar was among the first to join. The objective was to form a like-minded body of people -"Friends"- who would come together to support the fabric, music and life of the Cathedral both financially and by the giving of voluntary service to its many functions. Continuation of this support remains at the forefront of the Friends' objectives today.
The Friends raise funds primarily through membership subscriptions, donations, legacies, investments and the sale of merchandise. They also enjoy a varied programme of social functions including visits to other Cathedrals and places of interest as well as occasional lunches with an invited guest speaker. Full details of forthcoming events can be found on our events page.
The Friends are governed by a Constitution which is updated to keep abreast of best practice. The Constitution provides for a body of 10 Trustees who are responsible for the policy and management of the Friends and for decisions relating to Grants to the Chapter. Day to day management is delegated to the Management Committee comprising the elected Officers of the Friends.
Although the Friends are independent of the Cathedral being a separate registered charity (No. 517009) close contact is maintained with the Chapter and the Dean of the Cathedral is an ex officio Trustee. In addition to the Trustees and the Management Committee the Friends are advised by a Council elected from the membership. The Council also has representatives from other Cathedral bodies and receives reports from them. There is also Social Sub Committee and an Investment Sub-Commitee.
The Friends are a registered Charity - Registered No. 517009